Skin Deep

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Farkles' started by Redwdrdr, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Redwdrdr

Redwdrdr New Member

1381608840567.jpg 1381608840114.jpg
    3 cans of krylon fusion satin black=$15 6 pack of IPA=$10 super fine grit sandpaper=$3
    looking cooler then a yuppie with imported plastics?

2. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

I like. :thumbup:

3. Vman1313

Vman1313 Member

Yea, the black looks good. I love my CRF250L but would love to change up her colors as well. I am thinking of PlastiDip so if I dont like it I can just peel it off. Will post pics after I do it.

4. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Which panels would you plan on using plastidip on?

5. CatFlap

CatFlap Member

Looks good. :thumbup:
    Hows the Fusion holding up?
    I've thought of doing this to at least the white plastics, see what that looks like, then the red if I want more black. But didn't want it to look like crap after a few thousand miles. Could always just respray it, but if it chips too often then that might be a pain if it's more than once or twice a year touching it up. (I know proper prep is the biggest thing when getting things to stick long term)

(Been searching other forums and such and it seems everyone that paints the plastics on their dirtbike/ATV never does the long term report on durability. Figure I can actually ask here as I'm signed up. ;) )

6. Redwdrdr

Redwdrdr New Member

hay flap, to answer your durability question, ya it will rub off if you are aggressive with it. lol i mean i drag mine under trees, i ride really hard. i has started to rub off were my knees grip the bike. it is totally worth it in my opinion for the price. the look is great . i like the dip idea but how much does that cost?

7. CatFlap

CatFlap Member

Thanks for the info. :)
    I'll probably do mine once the weather warms up. I did find the complete set of black panels for the M online. But $233 + whatever the shipping would be...... I like $5 cans of paint, a six pack of beer, and a bit of my time better.
    I don't ride super hard on it off road (yet). So it'll probably hold up just fine for as long as I can expect it to. Like I said if it needs a touch up every 6 mo to a year. I'd be fine with that.

And if anyone is interested this is one place that others seem to have had good luck ordering from from what I've seen in my searching. Or if you get tired of touch ups and just decide to go with the imported yuppie plastics. ;) hehe
    (You might have to change the currency to US, it defaulted back to euros on me when I went back to it.)
    http://www.bikerzbits.com/honda-crf250m-black-plastic-parts-set.html

(disclaimer: As always, do your own confirming of the trustworthiness of ordering from a foreign website, any website for that matter, we got scammers in the US as well. I'm just sharing what I've found.)

8. hockeyrick

hockeyrick Member

I printed mine in dark carbon fiber look and UV clear coated, great durability! And not as expensive as in the States!

Attached Files:

CatFlap likes this.
  9. CatFlap

CatFlap Member

That turned out good. :thumbup:

I've realized that my CRF takes too many naps now that I've gotten into trail riding more... I'm thinking if I wanna change the color I'm going to have to break down and order the black plastics.
    Only owned it for two months time and even the top of the front fender has gouges out of it..... :rolleyes:

10. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Mines been over only once, but it was eventful enough to gash the top of the front fender as well. It's no fun to have a bike like this and then prioritize keeping it cosmetically perfect, IMO. They look just as good a little scruffy... I like the black spraypaint and/or plasti-dip ideas.

11. cowboy

cowboy Member

Liking this idea, the white panels soon get covered in a haze of fine scratches then dirt gets ingrained which can't easily be removed - not a good look.

12. TTOversteer

TTOversteer Member

I dipped the white plastic heat shield cover and the tool box cover black. It looks great and makes that part of the bike "disappear". ... I don't have any pics but will get some if anyone wants to see it.

I'm thinking about doing more, but I too am concerned about it scraping/scuffing off. But as was mentioned above if I don't like it the dip peels right off! :)

Props to the OP for the investment in IPA! Helps my "mods" go smoother. hahaha

13. XB12X

XB12X New Member

I'll have to disagree. I much prefer the standard colour scheme.