Street/dirt tire?

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L General Discussion' started by dpwell, Jul 26, 2018.

1. dpwell

dpwell New Member

HI - I'm considering getting a crf250L (currently own a cb500x) to do highway/gravel road trips. Probably would want a 50/50 sort of tire, something along the lines of a tkc80.

What sort of tire would be good for the 250 for this sort of use? Would the tkc80 fit the 250?

Also, is it possible/easy to lower the stock bike slightly?

thanks!

2. Charleyscrfl

Charleyscrfl New Member

Tkc 80 which I run on my cb500x are not a good off road tyre. They are great road, come dirt road tyre but mud is the end of them for off road.
    I run full knobby geo max on my crfl, dunlop 606 is prob the best road legal knobby and I am going to try that next.
    Use the crfl for mostly off road, single trail etc and tyre for that.
    Great choses in bikes.

3. Charleyscrfl

Charleyscrfl New Member

How about a Tractionator Adventure 20180723_123159.jpg

4. dpwell

dpwell New Member

Yeah, those look about right!

5. Charleyscrfl

Charleyscrfl New Member

Left (used) mitas, right is a new moto oz trationator Adventure.
    The mitas was great off road on the cb, the moto oz feels much smoother so far for road use, I have only put a few kms on it so far but feels nicer than the mitas.
    Try a dunlop 606 if you can get them on the crfl.

6. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Member

I've got the Mitas/Sava MC23 Rockrider tires on mine. They are really good in gravel and trails and decent on the road. Cheap like borscht, too.

7. Thai Guy

Thai Guy New Member

I have 17" motard wheels...with knobbies, like dirt track tires. Great in rain good in hot dry weather...awesome in the dirt. I drive 70 percent road, 30 off, but it rains here quite a bit...I love it!

Regarding lowering the bike...easy! For the front, loosen up the triple clamps and push to expose more fork tube. Mine is 8 mm. The rear shock has two methods. If you have a stock shock, it has enough metal on the bottom clevis to drill a set of holes, thus raising the swing arm/lowering ride height. The better method is to buy a set of "dog bones", a lowering link set. $130 to 180...My recommendation is to install the link, measuring ride height and sag before and after, then adjust the forks. I have not done my rear yet, but did lower the front to give more tire bite. I wanted more weight forward. remember, my bike is a CRF250M, not an "L".

NOTE: you will have to shorten your side stand, as the overall geometry will change a lot. I cut mine off at the foot, shortened it and installed a threaded rod insert, so I can adjust it. Or....you can buy one. (not adjustable)

Attached Files: