Updating the site a bit

Discussion in 'Forum Information' started by Alex, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

I haven't spent much time here lately, but I have some time this week to play. So it seems like a good time for some necessary updates! Just worked through getting PHP up to a modern version in prep for a xenforo upgrade, and that's now in the works. Every small step forward is requiring a whole bunch of googling to fix niggling errors along the way, but that's to be expected if I don't stay on top of this more frequently. Wish me luck! (and I have a backup that the host can just push back down in case I hose everything up).

superfunkomatic likes this.
  2. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

OK - the baby steps upgrade to 1.4.11 (from 1.4.10) worked OK. Now to try a few more...

3. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Up to 1.4.13 at this point. Next one's a bigger jump; wish me luck!

4. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

woo-hoo! A bunch of fun with the add-ons, but just successfully updated to the 1.5 branch (1.5.0 at the moment).

5. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Alrighty! Time to take a break. All updated to 1.5.23 (latest 1.5 branch), latest skin, and all add-ons seem to be working so far. Eventually I'll have to migrate to the 2.X branch, but it will be awhile. 1.5.X is fully supported through middle of next year, and is supported for security updates through 12/31/2019. 2.0 will break all addons, and I need to figure out a new tool to display the portal page.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  6. Lee6R

Lee6R Member

If you say so!!

Thanks for all the hard work :thumbup:

7. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

I saw that our domain was now down to a C grade on Qualys's SSL test, so I did some updating today. After some tweaking, and advice from sites like this one, I've gotten it back up to an A+. The downside is that it could potentially hinder very old browsers and/or non-standard browsers that can't deal with modern ciphers, but we'll see.