What's a good 80/20 tire?

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by Daddy O, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Daddy O

Daddy O New Member

I've had my CRF for about 6 months and the tires are not very good off road. Can someone recommend a good tire or possible ways to make it ride off road better?

2. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Member

Not liking the IRC tires? I was quite surprised and thought they were alright for gravel and a bit of muck. It's more of a 60/40 road/offroad.

Michelin T63 (60/40 or 70/30 offroad to road)
    Continental TKC 80 (60/40 or 70/30 offroad to road) - (I didn't think they were the holy grail of tires that everyone claims)
    Shinko 804/805 (currently on my Africa Twin -really good tires) - 50/50 tire good on street and gravel
    Avon TrekRider (last on my AT - good 50/50 and long lasting - 15,000 kilometres)

80/20? Do you mean more offroad? I've heard good things about Mitas E09, Dunlop 606 (90/10)

Daddy O likes this.
  3. Lee6R

Lee6R Member

I too am looking at replacing IRC tyres soon, they're fine on the road and pretty good on dry dusty trails but rubbish in wet mud!

I'm thinking of going for either the Michelin T63 mentioned above but more probably Pirelli MT21 Rallycross. Good compromise between on/off road and cheaper than the Michelins. Win Win.

Daddy O likes this.
  4. Merritt64

Merritt64 New Member

I currently run a Kenda K270 rear and Pirelli MT21 front on my KLR 650. I am going to put the same setup on my daughter's CRF. Great tires all around. Really shine off road.

YMMV, M64

Daddy O likes this.
  5. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Good info here, thx!

6. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

/moved to Tech Talk (with link left here)

7. Daddy O

Daddy O New Member

I was taking the bike on trails that I used to ride my 4-wheeler on, which maybe a little too "offroad" for this bike. I think I'll stick to gravel and dirt roads but with that being said I am going to at least change my front tire. Looking at the
    MotoZ Tractionator Desert H/T Tire. It just snowed here today so I have a while to think it over. Thanks for the input

superfunkomatic likes this.
  8. JPD

JPD Member

I ride on Kenda K270 (50/50). They are quite affordable and I replaced the rear tire each season (2 rears for 1 front).
    They are by no means spectacular, but lot better than the stock IRC.

IMG_20171201_130508.jpg

superfunkomatic likes this.