winter Storage..

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by YYZ_CRF250L, Sep 13, 2017.

1. YYZ_CRF250L

YYZ_CRF250L New Member

Can anyone suggest any winter storage tips? I store my CRF250 in a non-climate controlled shed.

Thanks.

2. Bandit

Bandit New Member

Fill the gas tank with fresh fuel and either bring the battery indoors or install a battery tender if your shed has a power source.I also like to put a bike away clean so you may want to give it a good cleaning first.Either change the oil and filter before storage or when bringing out of storage in the spring.

3. Tigger

Tigger Active Member

you can get a big Ziploc type bag which you use a vacuum cleaner to remove most of the air from, they get reasonable reviews, the £4.99 is for the drisorb pack, £35 or £40 for bag standard or large
    upload_2017-9-16_0-17-22.png
    The 'Vac-Bag' is a truly inspired bike storage solution, however it would also to be fair to say that this system's use far outweighs the initial design concepts!

Initially developed for the long-term 'winter' storage of any type of motorcycle (ie. sports, classic, off-road, etc) the Vac-Bag offers a barrier against the elements and the evil that is 'corrosion'; helping to keep your pride and joy looking like new. Engines, Bike parts, mowers...any type of machinery or metal items of value can be stored and protected with ease, putting your mind at rest until spring or longer!

Available in two sizes:

- Standard: 8ft x 10ft (2.4m x 3.0m)
    - Jumbo: 8ft x 12ft (2.4m x 3.65m)

Each kit is supplied with:

- Bag
    - Humidity Indicator
    - Large Re-sealable Cable Tie
    - Packet Of Drisorb (absorbs the moisture from the air in the bag).
    - Full Instructions For Using The Kit

Simply follow these few simple guidelines when vacuum storing your bike.

1. When preparing the item for storage, drain the petrol tank or run to as low a level as possible, as petrol loses its volativity after a few weeks and will also tend to gum up the fuel system.

2. Change the engine oil prior tp storage as used oil becomes acidic and can corrode internal engine parts. Ideally the item should be serviced before storage and not after.

3. Inflate tyres slightly above their normal pressure to ensure there is no pressure bulge where the tyres touch the floor.

4. Remove Battery and charge periodically, or leave battery on the bike and connect to a charger that is outside the bag. (if this system is adopted you must ensure the charger does not gas the battery).

Please note: The kit 'can' still be used without a vacuum cleaner to remove the air, simply push the bag towards the bike to expel as much air as possible. Once the Drisorb has been placed into the bag and is sealed the bike can be stored in a dry environment and will work. Using a vacuum cleaner should be done with caution as the bag will have a tendency to pull tight on the bike and is more likely to tear if there are sharp protrusions on the bike. It is also recommended that the 'Drisorb' is replaced each year of use (the rest of the kit is reusable).

Alex likes this.
  4. dbman

dbman New Member

google or youtube…. acf 50,,,, , good stuff and easy and cheap , I use this on every motorcycle I ride during the cold months to keep the salt out off the road , brilliant winterisation even if you leave it in storage if its good enough for aeroplanes im kinda thinking good stuff!