13T Sprocket Dissapointment

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by Vman1313, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Vman1313

Vman1313 Member

So I installed a 13T Sprocket and I must say I hate it. Well, hate is an ugly word but the bike was much better FOR ME before the 13T Sprocket change. It really didn't change much while trail riding, I could tell I didn't bog as much as before but it wasn't a night to day difference. All the change seemed to have done is drop my Top Speed down by 10MPH which is unacceptable on this little bike. I ride with some bigger bikes and lowering my Top Speed from 78-80 to 68-70 sucks...I am bummed because all I had seen and read said I would only lose 2 to 4MPH but 10MPH is too much. First chance I get, I will go back to original sprocket.

Lesson Learned!:confused:

2. michael.kozera

michael.kozera Member

i have 35,000km on my crf250l and i actually changed to a higher gear ratio.

my bike from factory was 9% off, so when i was going 100km/hr indicated, my GPS said i was going 91km/hr, so i went from a 40T to a 38T, and im using a larger tire, 120/90 or a 110/100.
    since then my speedo reads 100% perfect. as i rode it more and more i actually preferred the taller gearing, i burnt less fuel, RPM at highway speed went down, less vibration, and in the bush i mainly ride fire roads so the taller gearing actually helped there too.

only way i would ever lower my gearing is if i was to ride very slow speed bush trails, and i would have to ride them alot for such a gear change.

also, interestingly, everyone says 13t suppose to give you higher top speed, but when i changed to taller gearing of 38t+ big tires i actuly had a higher top speed, 135km/hr instead of 125km/hr (stock engine)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  3. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Good info here... Appreciate it!

4. Vman1313

Vman1313 Member

Yeah, I thought that I could handle a little less top speed for a little better take off in 1st and better 2nd gear pull in the "bush" BUT it didnt work out that way for me. The only NOTICEABLE affect the 13T Sprocket has done is lowered my top speed by almost 10MPH. Thanks for good info Michael.

5. Kompact

Kompact New Member

Did you put a 42 on the back or stay with the stock 40?

6. kayakersteve

kayakersteve New Member

80 on a LRP? Yikes!

7. dbman

dbman New Member

I brought my crf250l and it has 13 42 sprockets I want to lower my revs at higher speeds but will I be really disappointed with what I will find out in way of accelloration if I go 14 40?