Barlow or Bust 2014 campout and ride

Discussion in 'Videos' started by CatFlap, Jun 4, 2014.

1. CatFlap

CatFlap Member

So the local guys over on ADVrider do a ride every year.
    The group camps along a section of the old Barlow Road (wagon road used by pioneers) that you are actually allowed to drive 4x4s and such on.

I had my GoPro mounted (poorly, it was crooked) on my helmet and recording almost the entire weekend.
    Picked out some clips from the several hours of video I took.

Deer in slo-mo at the beginning (no sound).
    Rocky climb, butterfly at an old lookout tower site, hopping a small fallen tree, stream crossing that has a perfectly good (but boring) bridge, mud holes, and old tractor.

Trail #900 in the Rock Creek OHV area that is near where we camped. This trail starts near the old lookout tower site.

Trail #905. I really liked this little trail.

Playing with a KTM and WR on a night ride.

Later in the ride the guy on the WR catches a rut and goes down. Not hurt bad, just banged up a bit.

Was a pretty awesome weekend. I trucked the CRF into camp just so I could haul more camp stuff/extra gas and still got in 200+ miles of dirt road and trail riding. :D

Did however blow the seal on my left fork leg. I was hammering on it hard all weekend, bottomed out many times. Tried cleaning it out with some 35mm film and no go, it's blown.
    So I got a full kit on it's way. SKF seals, the Race Tech spring and gold valves. Pretty much takes the stock forks as far as you can without sending them off for some real full on and $$$$$$ custom work.

Holding off on the rear shock as it's spendy, but I know it needs it and I'll really notice it once the forks are sorted. Many times it bottomed as well and kicked the rear way up on me. And as far as I can tell it's cranked all the way up. I may check better and see if I can at least get a bit more pre-load out of it for now though.

By the end of the weekend guys did teach me to compress the suspension just before the waterbars so you go over them smother. You want the bike to be traveling back up on the suspension as you hit the bump and gas it, smooth. :thumbup:

2. AZ Desert Dog

AZ Desert Dog Member

Looks like an awesome time. You guys have some decent trails up there. I like the night footage the light is pretty decent on these CRF's.

3. CatFlap

CatFlap Member

Yeah I'm pretty impressed with the headlight. Honda seems to have done a decent job utilizing the light from the bulb.