Cam Chain Tensioner Problems - Anyone Else?

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by Logan Kemp, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Logan Kemp

Logan Kemp New Member

Has anyone encountered an issue with the cam chain (timing chain?) tensioner failing?

One of my CRF's has a knocking/rattling noise coming from the engine. Rather subtle, but noticeable enough to bug me. Online searches indicate it is the tensioner that has failed, and that it's a rather common issue.

Anyone else have this? How did you resolve it?

See video.

Singlespeed92 likes this.
  2. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Member

I had to replace them on another Honda bike at 50,000 kilometres. They are not considered defective and are a wear-and-tear item on the bike. I think replacing two on the other bike was about $200 CDN, so is likely cheaper on our CRFs.

3. Schnatterinchen

Schnatterinchen Member

I observed a similar rattle on my low-mileage CRF250L which had done only 600 mls.
    As the tensioner is about EUR 110 in Germany, I bought one in the UK for only 28 EUR including tax and shipping.
    Unfortunately it hasn't arrived yet so I can't tell wether it solved the issue or not.
    The price in Thailand is 402 BHT (10,80 €) by the way... :eek:

4. Thai Guy

Thai Guy New Member

My experiences, with every 4 stroke motorcycle ever built that has a spring tension cam chain devise, is that they are all junk. Not designed for the abuse they get. Abuse meaning the every day rpm loading, unloading variation. I have seen failures on every type of bike. When we buy any bike, we change it as a matter of duty, for a manually adjusted one and check it like it is underwear. A properly adjusted chain will last a long time.

Attached Files:

5. Schnatterinchen

Schnatterinchen Member

I do not have many issues with the tensioners. I rode three CRFs by now (starting with 164, 952 and 3800 kms) and they all sound similar. I swapped one of the tensioners (as written above) with no effort at all, so I don't think that the rattling is caused by that part.
    By the way, I rode some XL185S in the past and they are equipped with manual tensioners. There are some guys around which destroyed their engines while ignoring the need for adjustment. So I would call the automatic tensioner an advantage :)