mods. who's done what ?

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by bert247, Nov 24, 2013.

1. bert247

bert247 New Member

Hi guys I thought I would find out who has done what so we can see which are worth doing.
    My mods are
    Fmf q4 silencer plus mega bomb header. Full exhaust by far the biggest performance increase. On stock tyres , with the exhaust the only mod my top speed was up from 77 to 87
    Hand guards. Another essential
    Rev counter/hour meter. Handy and cheap £7
    Bash plate. Essential piece of equipment for off roading
    Michelin ac10 tyres. Still no grip on wet chalk but great on slippery grass and mud . Still slippery on wet rocks.
    Big gun/ejk fuel controller. medium performance increase but needs fine tuning
    Dna free flow air filter. ( K&n filtercharger style ) small performance increase

2. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Good idea. :thumbup: I've listed most of my mods in individual threads here, but will update more in this thread going forward.

3. beardo

beardo Member

Big Gun exhaust
    Air box mod
    EJK
    Big Bore

4. hockeyrick

hockeyrick Member

Wow, let me see!
    Standard-EJK, air filter-DNA/Hurricane, opened up the airbox, running 13/40, blade rear light(why is everyone so hip on DRC?), flush front turn signals, Hyperpro progressive front spring and oil, SKV seals, Hyperpro rear spring, Protaper bars, Koso tach and temp gauge, mirrors, 525 chain, Liquid Ice coolant, seat redone here in Thai, Givi, tires-Shinko/Kenda, Ben 740 twin exhaust (Thai),Royal Purple synth oil/KN filter, SS brake lines , fork skins

See my pics if interested--run a lot of street, weekends are trails and stuff! Ask!

5. captain canuck

captain canuck Member

How do you do the air box mod?

6. hockeyrick

hockeyrick Member

Took snorkel out, drilled holes in the top, cut side cover in half

7. captain canuck

captain canuck Member

Is the snorkel that weird looking thing that's in the compartment underneath the seat that kind of looks like a black hose?

8. hockeyrick

hockeyrick Member

yep, thats it everyone takes it out, the L starves for air, its an emission thing I guess

9. captain canuck

captain canuck Member

Oh ok cool I'll have to do that this weekend.

10. JustWantToRide

JustWantToRide New Member

Hey Rick - what sidecover did you cut in half, and why? Any pics of it and of the airbox mod?

11. beardo

beardo Member

It's easy to replace the side cover (or air box 'lid' that comes off to get the cleaner itself out) than hacking apart the actual box, if you ever want to sell the bike.

12. hockeyrick

hockeyrick Member

IMAG0426.jpg IMAG0427.jpg IMAG0431.jpg IMAG0432.jpg I keep 2 covers, one for rainy season, one for regular!
    how about these babies???

captain canuck likes this.
  13. CatFlap

CatFlap Member

Mods. Man they happened so fast. What is with motorcycles and them wanting all these goodies?! And like it was a supermodel girlfriend or something we just give in and get them everything they want. :D

Mine have mainly been armor and luggage. But performance is starting to get done now as well.
    List so far and how I like it.

Wolfman Enduro tank bag. Love it.

Some cheap "Moose" (don't know if it's part of Moose Racing....) tank side bags, the triangle shaped ones for ATVs. Love 'em other than I use them to carry MRS fuel bottles, once empty the bags "fly" on the highway, gonna add a bottom strap.

Dirt Bagz luggage for the back. I got the set that came with the top bag as well. Love it. Though I've heard people say they hate them as well. To each their own.

CRFs Only rear rack. Looks like Honda should have put it on from the factory.

Some 30mm bar risers. Made standing up on trails SOOOO much better. I was slouched over before and I'm only 5' 8".

Zeta hand guards. Saved my hands many times, and probably a few tree branches trying to grab the front brake on me as well. Required some tweaking to get them to fit, pretty normal from what I've read to have to tweak hand guards.

Ricochet skid plate. Went on no problem and good coverage.

Shinko 244 tires. Way better than the stockers (and my stock rear wore out in like 3k miles). But I should have gotten one size up from a 4.00 for the back. A size conversion chart said that it was the same size as the stock tire. But a bit bigger would be nice back there, it's actually way narrower.

Seat Concepts seat. Do I really need to say how much the bike needed that? Dirtbike style seats only go so far on a long trip.

Last but not least (at least for now). Rebuilt the forks with SKF seals (I actually blew a factory one out! Cleaning didn't even help) and Race Tech spring kit and Gold Valves. OMG, the front end feels sooooo nice now. Now to save up and get the rear shock, the back end feels like garbage compared to the front suspension....... Didn't realize how under sprung/dampened the bike was until now. They give you a code with the Gold Valves. You enter it on the site and put in some info and custom valve stack combos are given to you based on your weight, riding experience, and terrain you normally ride.

List for the future: Bigger gas tank, rear shock, beefing up the subframe, and sorta kicking around exhaust. I kinda like it quiet though..... So that is far in the future.

So those are kinda in order for future mods. Subframe might come first though. Still waiting for the Acerbis tank to come out. Cheaper than the IMS one.

shiredevon likes this.
  14. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Nice list! :thumbup:

15. Madsidney

Madsidney New Member

Full Yoshimura RS-4 stainless system
    EJK controller
    Pirelli MT's
    Air box mods
    DRD speedo calibrator
    13T front sprocket
    Hand guards
    HRC Graphix kit
    Max pre-tension on rear shock
    Waffle grips
    Tail kit
    RFX gear shifter

Alex likes this.
  16. TTOversteer

TTOversteer Member

Motard rims by Warp9
    Bridgestone bt003
    44t sprocket
    Sticker delete
    Plastidip tool box and number plate
    Passenger peg delete

... For now. :)

17. CatFlap

CatFlap Member

I finally got the IMS tank. Got tired of waiting for the Acerbis one to come out.
    Must say that though the price for only one more gallon seems steep.
    It's AWESOME. I can finally go on a nice loop around the forest without strapping a gas can to the rack. Did a 140 something mile ride today through the forest and got home with 2 bars still on a gauge. :)

Alex likes this.
  18. TTOversteer

TTOversteer Member

Oh nice! That is what I dislike the most on my bike. 2 gallons. Ugh. At least I am getting 70 mpg with 17 inch rims and 44t sprocket. However.... An extra gallon would be nice!

19. CatFlap

CatFlap Member

The extra gallon is nice. Like I said it seems like "Oh JUST one more gallon? big deal." But it has made all the difference. Everyone's "mileage may vary" though (no pun intended). For some the price for just adding some range isn't worth it if the area they live in does not have huge areas of zero civilization. Out here we have huge national forests you can wander in all day if you want and not even cover a 1/4 of it. Not a gas station for miles.

Yeah it's not that the bike gets bad mpg. Just that Honda didn't give many gallons to work with. ;) (I don't understand a bike that can be used out in the forest having a small tank, range is needed when venturing out like that. But all the small DS bikes have small tanks stock. So its just the way it is.)
    I know I generally get in the 60's somewhere for mpg. So far engine, sprockets, tire size wise it's all stock.

20. Firebladepilot

Firebladepilot New Member

30mm Bar risers
    cut bar 1" shorter on both sides (very tight trails here)
    Full Race Tech suspension Front with Race Tech Shock out back all sprung for my "American" sized self ( "I'm not fat, I'm big boned" )
    13t front sprocket
    Dunlop D606's front and rear
    Custom washable air filter

TTOversteer likes this.