My CRF has a top speed of 55mph ... Anyone help?

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by Jeff Gleed, May 10, 2019.

1. Jeff Gleed

Jeff Gleed New Member

I am at a bit of a loss with my CRF:

I recently bought a 2013 CRF complete with FMF exhaust, stage 1 tuner and lower geared sprockets. IT was pretty quick around town but it's top speed (yes I did try everything) was 60mph!. I figured ther ewas a problem with the setup of the tuner and, since the exhaust was absurdly loud, I decided to return it to standard spec.

After much time and money I have refitted the standard exhaust system, removed the tuner, replaced the chain and sprockets with 14/40 originals and had it fully serviced and inspected by 2 garages (one a main dealer). It now has a top speed of 55mph! Which is obviously rubbish!. The bike starts and runs perfectly and pulls well n all gears around town until just over 40 mph, but as soon as the revs get higher the power just drops off a cliff. It feels like it's had a power regulator fitted .. or something like that!

Anyone got any ideas before I have to get rid and start again? Or, does anyone want to by a bike designed to save your driving licence .. no extra charge?

Thanks guys

2. beatty_dt

beatty_dt New Member

Confirm the air filter was inspected. Looking for something simple first.

3. Jeff Gleed

Jeff Gleed New Member

Not checked that yet!

4. Jeff Gleed

Jeff Gleed New Member

I will check this out over the weekend ... Could be a beer in it if you are right!

5. Bryce

Bryce New Member

What size sprockets did it have before? Maybe it has a speedo corrector device installed and now that you have geared back to stock the speedo is off?

6. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Member

Have you taken off the fuel tank and maybe pinched a fuel hose? Plugged fuel filter, maybe?

7. Jeff Gleed

Jeff Gleed New Member

oh thanks guys ... these are all things to check ... i will investigate and let you know the lucky winner of "WTF is wring with my bike 2019!"

8. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Hope you figure it out!