[webbikeworld.com] - Apple Says Motorcycle Vibrations Are Killing Phone Cameras

Discussion in 'Motorcycling News' started by Newsbot, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Newsbot

Newsbot All the news that's fit to excerpt

I think I can vouch for nearly all of wBW when I say that technology is progressing faster than I can keep up.

Sure, I have my iPhone handy on the daily, but it’s by no means the latest release – and the newest variant of Apple now touts a slew of new features such as OLED displays, 5G connectivity, the A14 chip for increased performance, MagSafe, and the use of gyroscope/magnetic sensors to stabilize photos.

[​IMG]

The sensors, along with the relatively common Closed-loop AF (auto-focus) system that resists gravity and vibration to preserve sharp focus, is present in just about anything newer than the iPhone 6 Plus – and the advanced stabilization systems present in today’s smartphones are the reason why the modern mobile device is becoming less compatible with motorcycles.

[​IMG]

According to the report from Apple, certain frequencies tamper with the stabilizers in a phone camera – the same Optimal Image Stabilizers (OIS) that stop your picture from getting overly blurry when you snap a shot while accidentally tripping over the family dog.

[​IMG]

Those frequencies are released in spades on a high-revving motorcycle – and the vibrations travel directly from the handlebars of the bike to your phone, should you have nothing but the mount between the two machines.

[​IMG]

“High-power or high-volume motorcycle engines generate intense high-amplitude vibrations, which are transmitted through the chassis and handlebars”, says Apple. “High-power or high-volume motorcycle engines generate intense high-amplitude vibrations, which are transmitted through the chassis and handlebars.”

[​IMG]

“It is not recommended to attach your iPhone to motorcycles with high-power or high-volume engines due to the amplitude of the vibration in certain frequency ranges that they generate.”

[​IMG]

“Attaching your iPhone to vehicles with small-volume or electric engines, such as mopeds and scooters, may lead to comparatively lower-amplitude vibrations”.

There you have it, ladies and gentlemen. Park the ‘Busa and grab the Grom.

[​IMG]

There is, of course, a further recommendation from the American multinational technology company, should you decide to go through with a phone mount for your high-cc motorcycle.

[​IMG]

…“if you do [decide to attach your iPhone to a high-revving motorcycle], a vibration dampening mount is recommended to lessen the risk of damage to your iPhone and its OIS and AF systems. It is also recommended to avoid regular use for prolonged periods to further lessen the risk of damage.”

[​IMG]

If you’re in the neighborhood for an Apple-friendly bike (or just want to peruse phone mounts), make sure to check our Best 125cc Motorcycles, as well as wBW’s recent coverage on vibration damper mounts available from QuadLock.

The post Apple Says Motorcycle Vibrations Are Killing Phone Cameras appeared first on webBikeWorld.

Click here for full story...